The saga of the Castle & Key distillery out of Kentucky is one we’ve documented well here at The Whiskey Wash since it first came on the radar back in 2014 at the site of the historic and pretty well abandoned Old Taylor Distillery. It has been a heck of a ride for those working there in the ensuing years, most of that time under the helm of female master distiller Marianne Eaves. She’s been gone from there for a bit now, but in her wake work has continued, and now the first true whiskey under their brand has recently emerged.
The new Castle & Key Restoration Rye, according to those behind it, pays tribute to the restoration of this historic property that was built over a century ago. It is being released in two batches, with Batch #1 “created from a blend of 60 barrels, and Batch #2 is comprised of 57 barrels. During the blending process, barrels are grouped into pods with specific sensory profiles. Those pods are then blended together to achieve the unique, high quality flavor profiles.”
“We are more than excited to release our Restoration Rye, a spirit that is thoughtful in every detail, from grain to glass, and is a true representation of the team’s hard work and attention to detail over the past five years,” said Jon Brown, Quality Manager at Castle & Key Distillery, in a prepared statement.
As for the specifics of each batch, below you’ll find more official information on them, including some tasting notes.
BATCH #1 ($39.99; 51.5% ABV; 13,200 bottles produced):
- AROMA: Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Toast, Dried Figs, Pipe Tobacco, Baking Chocolate, Orange Peel
- TASTE: Sweet Baking Spice, Cinnamon Roll, Caramelized Sugar, Dried Currants, and Lightly Roasted Almonds
- FINISH: Sweet with light hints of maple syrup and dark honey
BATCH 2 ($39.99; 49.5% ABV; 12,540 bottles produced):
- AROMA: Bright, Lemon Peel, Toasted Oak, Apricot, Wild Flower, Honey, Graham Cracker
- TASTE: Pie Crust, Honeysuckle, Mint, Agave Nectar, Dry Cinnamon, Light Stone Fruit
- FINISH: Cooling, Camphoraceous with light mouth numbing
Nino Kilgore-Marchetti is the founder and editor-in-chief of The Whiskey Wash, an award winning whiskey lifestyle website dedicated to informing and entertaining consumers about whisk(e)y on a global level. As a whisk(e)y journalist, expert and judge he has written about the subject extensively, been interviewed in various media outlets and...