About twice a year we have a guest on the show that just amazes us with the science behind bourbon. Stuart Williams is a professor that directs the microfluidic systems laboratory at the University of Louisville. He discovered that when bourbon begins evaporating, it creates a web that resembles constellations in the dark sky. Stuart was able to document his findings and show how bourbons that come from the same distillery create similar webs. Pictures speak louder than words so make sure you check out his website at WhiskeyWebs.org to see the stunning representations.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- Wilderness Trail is Sweet Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon and Rye Whiskey distilled, aged, and bottled in Danville, Kentucky. Learn more at WildernessTrailDistillery.com.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Total Wine & More is ready for summer! You’re sure to find cool prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about sourced whiskey.
- How did you become so passionate about this research?
- Tell us about fluid dynamics.
- What is a whiskey web?
- Talk about filtration.
- Is it good to have more colloids vs. less?
- Tell us about the physics of evaporation.
- What proof were you testing at?
- Will 3 different bottles of the same whiskey have the same pattern?
- Which bourbon didn’t show a web?
- What other things could you test with this research?
- Could you use the whiskey web to determine taste?
Kenny Coleman and Ryan Cecil host the Bourbon Pursuit podcast from Louisville, KY. Together, they share a passion for the stories that made an industry flourish with a focus on history, personality, and of course, great bourbon. Their guests include master distillers, bloggers, historians, local events and more.