Family owned Boann Distillery, which operates in the historic Boyne Valley of Ireland, has only been in operation for a short period of time. As things ramp up for them they, like so many other young Irish distilleries, are sourcing aged whiskey from larger Irish operators for stock to sell at market. It is with some of this they’ve begun a push into the United States, debuting a new Irish whiskey range release known as The Whistler Trilogy.
The new Boann The Whiskey Trilogy range, according to those behind it, comes in the form of three bottlings that “showcases some of the finest whiskey, smoothest honey and freshest cream that Ireland has to offer.” It was put together by Boann’s Master Distiller (Michael Walsh, Ireland’s youngest Master Distiller), Family Beekeeper, and Master Blender. You’ll find more information, including official tasting notes, for each expression at the end of this story but, in general, 750 ml bottles of each will price around $30 starting now.
“At Boann, we pride ourselves in being one of the most innovative whiskey distilleries in Ireland, and in late 2019 our new state-of-the-art facilities and custom copper pot stills produced the first spirit in Drogheda in over 160 years,” said Pat Cooney, Founder of Boann Distillery, in a prepared statement. “We only use locally grown barley in our whiskeys and have access to the best casks to mature our spirit, ensuring that we produce unique whiskeys in which every bottle tells a story – the story of our land, our people and our family.”
The Whistler Double Oaked Irish Whiskey 40% Alc/vol 80 proof:
- a hand-selected, premium Irish whiskey expression that is crafted in small batches using some of Ireland’s finest malt and grain whiskeys. Single grain and single malt whiskeys are matured for three years in Ex Bourbon barrels and then married together with further finishing in our signature Oloroso Sherry casks which creates a complex and full-bodied whiskey.
- NOSE: Salted caramel and vanilla jump out of the glass with light oak spices and undertones of zesty citrus, honey and a hint of nuts.
- TASTE: Honey and creamy vanilla come to the fore with light oak spices that are all followed by the zesty citrus peel.
- FINISH: Long and tingling finish with dry oak tannins remaining with a residual hint of honey.
The Whistler Irish Honey Whiskey 33% Alc/vol 66 proof:
- a natural collaboration between the family beekeepers and their love for Irish whiskey. They take some of the finest ex-bourbon matured Irish Whiskey and infuse it with honey harvested from their family orchards at the foot of the Hill of Tara in the Boyne Valley.
- NOSE This nose is bursting with delicious creamy honeycomb, caramel, candied almonds and unmistakable undertones of smooth Irish whiskey.
- TASTE: Opens with a healthy whiskey influence, immediately followed by incredibly creamy vanilla and caramel, with honey and candied almonds at the end.
- FINISH: Long smooth and decadent with more than a hint of honey that lingers on and on.
The Whistler Irish Cream Liqueur 19% Alc/vol 38 proof:
- a decadent whiskey liqueur and the first in the world to utilize the prestigious Single Pot Still Irish whiskey style in its blend. Single Pot Still Whiskey is uniquely Irish and combines both triple distilled, malted and un-malted barley. This cream liqueur expertly blends the freshest Irish cream from grass fed cows with the very best of Irish whiskey. This creates an all-natural Irish cream with true depth, flavor and fantastic whiskey undertones.
- NOSE: Beautifully creamy nose full of rich chocolate, vanilla and the unmistakable pot still whiskey spice.
- TASTE: Incredibly velvety mouthfeel, with heaps of creamy milk chocolate, toffee, and a hint of coffee all followed by a delicious warmth and pot still spice brought by the Irish whiskey.
- FINISH: Long, lingering, creamy and luxurious.
Nino Kilgore-Marchetti is the founder and editor-in-chief of The Whiskey Wash, an award winning whiskey lifestyle website dedicated to informing and entertaining consumers about whisk(e)y on a global level. As a whisk(e)y journalist, expert and judge he has written about the subject extensively, been interviewed in various media outlets and...