Bushmills Irish Whiskey recently rolled out a new bottle and packaging for its single malt range spanning 10, 12, 16, and 21 Year Old varieties.
The range, already available in some markets, is expected to have a global reach by early 2022.
A statement from Bushmills proclaims this a departure from their use of the heritage bottle across all references to date.
A stone’s throw from the Old Bushmills Distillery in Ireland’s County Antrim, the Giant’s Causeway has been a source of inspiration to Bushmills for centuries. The Causeway has an area of about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic fissure eruption.
The new bottle, designed by New York agency Stranger and Stranger, is broad-shouldered and angular, taking inspiration from the Causeway’s legendary columns and integrates features such as its hexagonal punt mirroring the Causeway stones.
Vibrant colors and discrete embossing on the side panels look to Bushmills’ 1608 heritage and iconic pot still. Crafted parchment labels are complemented by varnished wooden cork closures for the 10, 12 and 16 Year Old while a matte black cap sets off the gunmetal label and gold features of the 21 Year Old.
Bushmills’ Master Distiller Colum Egan said, “I am proud to put my signature to our new single malt bottles. The result of thorough reflection and considerable work by our marketing and Old Bushmills Distillery innovation teams, the new packaging certainly provides a stage for our single malts befitting of Bushmills’ status as the pioneer of Irish single malts and worthy of our generations of master whiskey makers.”
Egan said that although their bottles have changed, the whiskey has not. “We are still making whiskey the old way; the way our great-grandparents and their great-grandparents made it at the Old Bushmills Distillery – the world’s oldest licensed whiskey distillery. Our respect for tradition ensures we’re just as uncompromising about quality as those who came before us. We will continue to maintain our iconic taste and quality of our signature smooth Bushmills Irish Whiskey single malts.”
Distiller’s notes for Bushmills single malt range:
BUSHMILLS 10 YEAR OLD
Bushmills 10 Year Old single malt whiskey is triple distilled from 100% malted barley and matured for at least 10 years in sherry butts and bourbon barrels, giving it notes of vanilla honey, ripe red fruits and creamy milk chocolate.
- CASKS: Bourbon barrels and sherry butts.
- COLOR: Amber gold.
- NOSE: Initial accents of zesty citrus fruits intertwine with the distinctive Bushmills honey character, preceding lingering sweet aromas of fresh vanilla and creamy milk chocolate.
- TASTE: On the palate, mellow sweet notes of vanilla, milk chocolate and fresh honeysuckle married with delicate traces of toasted oak.
- FINISH: A crisp finish that dwindles gently on the palate.
BUSHMILLS 12 YEAR OLD
Bushmills 12 Year Old single malt whiskey is triple distilled from 100% malted barley and matured in Oloroso sherry butts and bourbon barrels before being finished in marsala barriques from Sicily. These fortified wine casks layer on extra notes of ripe spiced fruit, deeper sweet notes, like brown sugar, and a delicate nutty dryness.
- CASKS: Bourbon, sherry and marsala.
- COLOR: Chestnut.
- NOSE: A full-bodied intriguing aroma of dried fruits, spices with sweet, candied apple.
- TASTE: Creamy on the palate with notes of rich honey, spiced fruit and caramelised brown sugar, with a distinct nutty malt character.
- FINISH: Strong and slightly dry, the complexity of the flavours linger on the palate with hints of warming ginger and spiced pear.
BUSHMILLS 16 YEAR OLD
Bushmills 16 Year Old single malt whiskey is triple distilled from 100% malted barley and matured in Oloroso sherry butts and bourbon barrels before being finished for up to a year in port pipes. This combination of casks imbues it with notes of concentrated dark fruits, nutty treacle toffee and dark chocolate.
- CASKS: Sherry, bourbon and port.
- COLOR: Ruby red.
- NOSE: The robustness of the three woods is immediately evident with big aromas of treacle toffee intermingling with accents of sweet spices of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- TASTE: Robust flavours of caramelised peaches and mango marry notes of toasted almonds and walnuts, giving depth and complexity.
- FINISH: Layered and lingering, initial notes of concentrated jammed berries progresses into a silky milk chocolate finish.
BUSHMILLS 21 YEAR OLD
Bushmills 21 Year Old single malt whiskey is triple distilled from 100% malted barley and matured in Oloroso sherry butts and bourbon barrels before being finished for two years in Madeira casks. This imbues the whiskey with notes of ripe fruit, like apricots and raisins, and gives a caramelized nuttiness with hints of dark chocolate.
- CASKS: Sherry, bourbon and madeira.
- COLOR: Deep mahogany.
- NOSE: Rich aromas of fresh honey and ripe summer fruits combine with delicate notes of sweet hazelnuts and cacao.
- TASTE: Deep rich flavors of dark chocolate and toffee precede notes of vanilla sweetness, toasted nuts and just a hint of charred oak.
- FINISH: Long and delicate, a subtle flavor journey of this unique triple wood single malt whiskey.
Tales of the Cocktail Event Slated For Late July In New Orleans
Gavin Hastings Launches Charity Whiskies To Support Injured Rugby Players
Bladnoch Distillery Explores Whisky-Making With The Dragon Series
Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye Now A Permanent Offering
Emerson Whiskey Company Cuts Into Bourbon Market With New Product
Colorado Distilleries Collaborate On A Colorado Wheat Whiskey
Kilchoman Releasing Cognac, Fino Sherry Cask Matured Limited Editions
Lux Row Introduces Ezra Brooks 99 Rye, Reimagined Ezra Brooks Bourbon Cream
Highland Park Releasing New Cask Strength No.4 Scotch Whisky
Scotland’s The Cairn Distillery Takes ‘Step One’ Toward First Single Malt
Gary Carter has been at the helm of metro newspapers, magazines, and television news programs as well as a radio host and marketing manager. He is a writer/editor/photographer/designer by trade, with more than 30 years experience in the publishing and marketing field. Gary enjoys working to build something great, whether...