Bowmore has unveiled the two latest editions to the Bowmore Timeless Series: Bowmore Timeless 29 Year Old (introduced worldwide, slated to arrive in the US this month) and Bowmore Timeless 33 Year Old (exclusive to Global Travel Retail). The series is “a celebration of time, but with a definitive appreciation as to how each moment comes to bear on the character of the whisky.”
The limited-edition Bowmore Timeless 29-Year-Old is created from a combination of maturation in Sherry-seasoned European oak casks and ex-bourbon American oak barrels filled in 1991 and 1992, while Bowmore Timeless 33-Year-Old “celebrates the complex layers of flavor from bringing together bourbon barrels with a definitive sherry finish, shaped by Matusalem Sherry seasoned European oak butts and 2nd fill European oak Oloroso sherry butts.”
Calum Fraser, Bowmore Master Blender, said in a prepared statement, “The rare whiskies in Bowmore Timeless Series really capture the essence of time beautifully and showcase how special aged Bowmore truly is. We purposefully strive for more character by harnessing the optimal conditions and protecting the precise processes used to ensure that we bring bold flavours to the front.
“Both the 29-Year-Old and 33-Year-Old are testament to the fact that our spirit ages like no other and keeps delivering breadth and depth of flavour as it matures.”
Described as being “inspired by the classic hourglass shape,” each edition of Bowmore Timeless is housed in a distinctive black box. Inside the bottle sits alongside an hourglass, which once turned “allows nature’s gravity to release the grains of sand into the base of the hourglass giving three precious minutes to enjoy the nose of this beautifully balanced masterpiece that has taken decades to perfect.”
Bowmore Timeless Series 29-Year-Old and 33-Year-Old are limited editions with just 3,000 bottles available globally respectively and are available this month. Bowmore Timeless 29-Year-Old will be available from specialist retailers in key markets including UK, Germany, Canada, USA, and China whilst Bowmore Timeless 33-Year-Old will be exclusive to Global Travel Retail in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai, and Hainan.
Official tasting notes are as follows.
Bowmore Timeless 29 Year Old
- Color: Old oak
- Nose: Intense dark fruits of sherry-soaked raisins and sultanas, Muscovado sugar with cocoa nibs, a touch of bitter orange marmalade, Christmas spices and a hint of menthol. Extremely complex with notes of cherry blossom, maraschino cherries, liquorice, and delicate citrus fruits are apparent.
- Taste: Rich and complex, warming peat character with notable hints of fruitcake and cocoa with a hint of sea salt.
- Finish: Mouth warming followed by peat drying and salt on the lips with a long lasting finish.
- SRP: $1,800
Bowmore Timeless 33 Year Old
- Color: Deep gold
- Nose: Sweet Acacia honey with jasmine floral notes merging with hints of menthol and eucalyptus. Herbal notes, Brazil nuts and toffee apple come through with dry grass in the background.
- Taste: Sweet ripe orchard fruits with peat smoke, mouth warming.
- Finish: Mouth coating then drying with long lasting peat.
- SRP: $2,800