The Balvenie recently introduced its Rare Marriages Range in the U.S., with a collection of three single malt Scotch whiskies including the new Balvenie Twenty-Five, along with The Balvenie Thirty and The Balvenie Forty.
The Rare Marriages range comes under what’s said to be the craftsmanship of Malt Master David C. Stewart as he draws on stock from The Balvenie’s oldest and rarest whiskies to create these balanced marriages of the spirit.
In a statement from the distiller, they note that each of the Rare Marriage expressions tastes of honey as The Balvenie single malts are known for.
“The Balvenie Rare Marriages Range is designed to unveil the intricacies of our whisky in a bold marriage of extraordinary character,” Stewart said. “This range, made from casks that have stood the important test of time, has a distinct profile and experience which we have designed to reveal the wonderful depth of The Balvenie Single Malt.”
Neil Strachan, The Balvenie’s U.S. brand ambassador, said The Balvenie is dedicated to tradition through generations of family-owned, handcrafted whisky, allowing them to create a simple yet complex spirit that spans decades.
Naomi Leslie, fellow U.S. brand ambassador, said, “Our newly released Twenty-Five is a beautifully unexpected whisky, revealing layers of candied ginger, toasted coconut, and hints of black pepper as you continue to sip and enjoy.”
To craft The Balvenie Twenty-Five, Stewart chose what’s noted as some of The Balvenie’s rarest traditional American and European oak casks to create the tasting profiles designed for the range.
These single malt whiskies matured for 25 years and were handpicked to complete the layers of flavor envisioned. The two casks were married together in the brand’s traditional oak tuns for the final blend.
The Balvenie Rare Marriages Range is now available in limited quantities across the U.S. for the suggested retail prices of $799.99, $2,400, and $6,750 for The Balvenie Twenty-Five, The Balvenie Thirty, and The Balvenie Forty, respectively.
The Balvenie Rare Marriages distiller’s notes:
The Balvenie Twenty-Five (Aged 25 Years – 48% ABV non-chill filtered of natural color):
- Nose: Soft autumn fruits, runny honey, crystallized ginger, and raw cane sugar; An underlying rich oakiness creates complexity and structure.
- Taste: Bold vanilla flavors with layers of toasted marshmallows, fresh fruit terrine and cinnamon-infused apple tart.
- Finish: Exceptionally long-lasting sweetness.
- Packaging: Presented in a case of rich burgundy color that graduates to a lighter ombré hue, representing the evolution of flavors in the marrying process; Rings of white gold foil represent each year of maturation.
- SRP: $799.99.
The Balvenie Thirty (Aged 30 Years – 44.2% ABV chill filtered of natural color) marries Traditional American and European oak casks that have matured for decades – crafting the sweetest and most honeyed expression.
- Nose: Smooth and honeyed on the nose with mellow oaky tones and hints of candied orange peel.
- Taste: Great depth with rich dark chocolate, hints of plum, marzipan, and caramelized pear.
- Finish: Exceptionally smooth and warming with gentle spice and lingering sweetness.
- Packaging: Constructed of soft goat leather, details include gradually faded debossed pattern rings, inspired by the distillery to represent the unfurling of flavor in the marrying process; Finished with white gold foil, creating a highly tactile and luxurious touch.
- SRP: $2,400.
The Balvenie Forty (Aged 40 Years – Cask Strength and of natural color) is the boldest character in the range, holding an intense honeyed oak and rich, fruity flavor, layering both sweetness and spice.
- Nose: Honey and orange marmalade notes mingle with creamy fruitiness, followed by a luscious wave of vanilla and a hint of oak.
- Taste: Orange blossom, candied ginger, and honeyed sweetness, followed by oak, mouth-coasting vanilla notes, and a delicate, sherried fruitiness.
- Finish: Warm and elegant with a honeyed citrus richness.
- Packaging: The liquid is presented in an oak based structure composed of stained rings; the ombré tones depict flavors that unfurl in the marrying process.
- SRP: $6,750.
Gary Carter has been at the helm of metro newspapers, magazines, and television news programs as well as a radio host and marketing manager. He is a writer/editor/photographer/designer by trade, with more than 30 years experience in the publishing and marketing field. Gary enjoys working to build something great, whether...