Town Branch Distillery recently announced it is releasing two new limited bourbons to celebrate Bourbon Heritage Month in September.
Town Branch is Lexington, Kentucky based, the first distillery to open there since Prohibition. They announced that hitting shelves is the Town Branch “True Cask” Kentucky Straight Bourbon (Cask Strength/$44.99/750ml) and Town Branch “Sherry Cask Finished” Kentucky Straight Bourbon (48.2% ABV/$69.99/750ml).
The True Cask Bourbon is uncut, straight from the barrel, and non-chill filtered. It’s individually batch-numbered to capture the purity of flavors each cask strength barrel provides to each blend, as this inaugural batch is a 50/50 blend of two distinct mash bills and yields 50 barrels in total.
“We want to show a bourbon that was true to the cask, because the true beauty of the barrels is usually only tasted by the blenders and distillers,” said Alan Kennedy, Town Branch’s head blender, in a prepared statement. “Blending is vital to the development of each batch’s flavor profile, and each barrel used for True Cask is hand-selected for its unique characteristics.”
The Town Branch Sherry Cask Finished Bourbon is a 26-barrel run that blends two unique Oloroso Sherry finishes.
“We initially did this as a test run three years ago to see how it might come out tasting, and we were delighted with the final result,” said Mark Coffman, Town Branch master distiller. “This whiskey is truly handcrafted. There is no automation in the distillation process, and I decide where to make the cuts. On top of that, the sherry casks that we have been importing from Spain have been of excellent quality. They provide deep sherry notes that end up in the bourbon once its aging is complete.”
More information on each, including official tasting notes, can be found below.
Town Branch “True Cask” Kentucky Straight Bourbon Batch #001
- Mash Bill: An uncut, non-chill filtered blend of two Kentucky mash bills:
- Higher-malt bourbon mash (72% corn, 13% rye, 15% malted barley).
- An undisclosed proprietary Kentucky Bourbon mash.
- ABV: 54% (108.1 Proof) – Uncut, Cask Strength.
- Availability: Allocated Release, 1,800 cases available.
- Appearance: Medium honeyed amber.
- Aroma: Caramel and sweet corn leading to dried fruits, walnuts, and baked apples.
- Palate: Sweet corn and toasted cinnamon finishing with apricot, vanilla and hints of leather.
- Finish: Slight sweetness and pleasant heat with a medium finish of oak and baking spices.
- Age of Whiskeys: The whiskeys are generally 4-years-plus and blended to a desired flavor profile, so potentially older stocks might be pulled for blending to create unique batches, proofs, etc.
Town Branch “Sherry Cask Finished” Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- ABV: 48.2% (96.4 Proof).
- Availability: Limited Release, 500 cases available.
- Appearance: Dark amber-chestnut with a hint of crimson.
- Aroma: Sweet corn marrying notes of raisins, dates, roasted walnuts, hazelnuts and molasses.
- Palate: Sherry mingled with dried orchard fruit followed by vanilla, roasted nuts and figs.
- Finish: Long finish with a touch of heat and flavors of toasted wood and roasted nuts
- Age of Whiskeys: Most of the whiskeys in the blend are about 6 years old, the distillery’s sweet spot. They were finished for between 9 and 14 months in Oloroso sherry barrels
Gary Carter has been at the helm of metro newspapers, magazines, and television news programs as well as a radio host and marketing manager. He is a writer/editor/photographer/designer by trade, with more than 30 years experience in the publishing and marketing field. Gary enjoys working to build something great, whether...