The Rabbit Hole distillery in Kentucky, post acquisition by spirits giant Pernod Ricard earlier this year, has been busy at work readying a new Kentucky straight bourbon for its core line up that is being called Heigold. Its launch also coincides with rebranding of three other whiskeys already at market. All have been given what’s described as “proper names that reflect the Louisville influencers who have gone down ‘rabbit holes’ of their own” and inspired Rabbit Hole founder/distiller Kaveh Zamanian as he built the brand.
The new Rabbit Hole Heigold High Rye Straight Bourbon, according to those behind it, has a high rye mash bill that’s 70% corn, 5% malted barley and 25% malted rye. The bourbon is made with “a proprietary cooking process” before being distilled at the Louisville, Kentucky-based distillery. It is then put into #3 wood-fired, toasted and charred new American Oak barrels at an entry proof of 110 and allowed to age for just under four years before being bottled at 95 proof.
“My mission has always been to bring thoughtful innovation to the spirits landscape,” said Zamanian in a prepared statement. “I call it ‘innovation with a lowercase i.’ So when it came to developing the recipe for Heigold, a process I started four years ago, I stepped away from the conventions of high rye bourbon to create a unique mash bill that features the highest quality malted rye imported from Germany. The rye is sourced from one of Europe’s most important regions for rye grains and it really comes through in the glass with a one-of-a-kind taste.
“I’m very proud of Heigold and look forward to sharing it with bourbon lovers and spirits enthusiasts across the country.”
Plans call for Heigold to price around $70 per 750 ml bottle. Limited official tasting notes suggest “creamy notes of butterscotch with bursts of citrus, and finishes with intriguing notes of pepper and spice.” It is named after Christian Heigold, a German immigrant who was a stonemason by trade and resided in Louisville. Heigold is said to have fit the profile of influencers as spelled out at the beginning of this story.
As for the other rebranded bottlings, below is the complete information as mentioned by Rabbit Hole.
Rabbit Hole “Cavehill” Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Cavehill is a four-grain, Straight Bourbon Whiskey that pays homage to the final resting place of generations of proud Louisville distillers. This expression builds on the legacy of bourbon’s greatest pioneers and sets a new standard for American whiskey.
- Honey, fresh apples and spice come to life when nosed, and on the palate, creamy flavors of orange, honey and mint mingle with hints of toasted grain. The enduring finish speaks of vanilla and custard.
- Mash Bill: 70% Corn, 10% Malted Wheat, 10% Malted Barley, 10% Honey Malted Barley
- Barrel: Aged in #3, wood-fired, toasted & charred new American Oak Barrels
- Entry Proof: 110
- 95 Proof/47.5 ABV
- SRP per 750 mL bottle: $59.99
Rabbit Hole “Boxergrail” Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
- Boxergrail is a straight rye whiskey inspired by the greatest boxer and Louisvillian of all-time. Bold and unexpected, this rye echoes his uncompromising spirit and sense of refinement, characteristics befitting of a champion.
- Mash Bill: 95 % Rye, 5% Malted Barley
- Barrel: Aged in #3, wood-fired, toasted and charred new American Oak barrels
- Entry Proof: 110
- 95 Proof/47.5 ABV
- SRP per 750 mL bottle: $49.99
Rabbit Hole “Dareringer” Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in PX Sherry Casks
- Rabbit Hole’s Sherry Cask Finished Bourbon is named for Kaveh’s wife, Heather, the muse behind the brand. A Louisville native and bourbon enthusiast, she lured Kaveh away from his beloved Scotch and down a rabbit hole he may have never dared alone. Dareringer celebrates her sweetness, charm and elegance.
- The experience of Dareringer begins with notes of sherry with traces of caramel and cherry. On the palate: raisins, currants and cherries coming to life, hinting almond and vanilla. The finish is light with a touch of dryness.
- Mash Bill: 68% Corn, 18% Wheat, 14% Malted Barley
- First Barrel: Aged in #4 charred new American Oak; Second Barrel: Aged and finished in Casknolia Pedro Ximenez Sherry Casks
- Entry Proof: 115
- 93 Proof/46.5 ABV
- SRP per 750 mL bottle: $79.99
Baudoinia: the Fungus That Even Grows In Canada
Kentucky Peerless Set To Launch High Rye Bourbon
Whiskey Review: Whiskey Del Bac Frontera
Interview: Whisky Auctioneer Talks Rise Of Japanese Whisky On Secondary Market
Whiskey Review: Chattanooga Silver Oak Cabernet Cask Finished Whiskey
Ardbeg Is Grillin’ And Distillin’ With New BBQ-Inspired Whisky
Rare 36-Year-Old Redemption Bourbon Sells For $18K At Auction
Wiggly Bridge Distillery Unveils “New England” Single Malt
Whiskey Review: Stillhouse Peanut Butter S’Mores Whiskey
Interview: Mixologist Naomi Leslie Talks Après Ski Whisky Cocktails
Nino Kilgore-Marchetti is the founder and editor-in-chief of The Whiskey Wash, an award winning whiskey lifestyle website dedicated to informing and entertaining consumers about whisk(e)y on a global level. As a whisk(e)y journalist, expert and judge he has written about the subject extensively, been interviewed in various media outlets and...