Close this search box.

Minnesota Distillery’s New Bourbon Was Finished In A Port Barrel

10696288_867778896573368_2145261622101841584_nNew bourbons surfacing from craft whiskey outfits around the country in some cases need an extra “something” in order to get them noticed by drinkers and media. Crooked Water Spirits out of Minnesota is hoping its new port barrel finished bourbon that’s been going fast to eager buyers will prove to be that edge.

The Kings Point Bourbon, according to Mpls.St Paul Magazine, was created “in collaboration with Madison’s craft distillery Yahara Bay Distillers.” It is described by Crooked Water as a two-year old bourbon that was finished for over six months in a used port barrel imported from Portugal from a 100+ year winery.

There isn’t much to say about the flavor profile of this bourbon from the material available from Crooked Point, but information from retailer Ace Spirits, which is one of those still with bottles in stock, indicates at least that the “grains are made up of corn, barley, wheat and rye. Mash bill is 75% corn, the other three grains make up the remaining 25%.”

Should you not be able to get hold of a bottle from the mostly sold out first batch, fear not, as apparently a planned second batch resting in a different barrel type, according once again to Mpls.St.Paul Magazine, will soon be on the way.

Nino Kilgore-Marchetti

Nino Kilgore-Marchetti is the founder of The Whiskey Wash, an award winning whiskey lifestyle website dedicated to informing and entertaining consumers about whisk(e)y on a global level. As a whisk(e)y journalist, expert and judge he has written about the subject extensively, been interviewed in various media outlets and provided tasting input on many whiskeys at competitions. He also maintains a large private collection of whiskey from which he continually educates his palate on this brown spirit type.

All Posts
  • Latest News
  • Latest Reviews