Another in the spirits giant Beam’s small batch bourbon portfolio, besides Booker’s, is Knob Creek. This brand is being expanded a bit into the flavored bourbon category with the recent introduction of a maple touched whiskey, which will price for around $31 for a 750 ml bottle.
Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon is bottled at 90 proof. It takes what’s described as the “big full flavor” of the regular Knob Creek Bourbon and adds to it “hints of maple and a touch of smoke.” Mirroring founder Booker Noe’s loves of smoking meats in the smokehouse at his home and crafting his own maple syrup from the sugar maples on the family property in Bardstown, Kentucky, it is designed to be
enjoyed neat, or with an ice cube or two. It also makes an excellent after dinner drink for those who prefer to sip and savor a nice whiskey with dessert.
Given the maple characteristics of the bourbon, Chef Michael Symon has suggested two recipes that make use of the spirit in unique ways. They are:
Knob Creek Smoked Maple Glazed Ham
Recipe Serves 8-10
10-12 pound, Bone-In, Fully Cooked Ham
1 C Water
2 C Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon
1/4 C Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cinnamon Stick
Juice of 1 Orange
1/2 tsp. Salt
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Place ham in a roasting pan, adding 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and place in the oven to warm through, about 2 hours. (begin making glaze)
3. After about 2 hours, your ham should be warmed through. Remove it from the oven and remove the foil.
4. Turn the oven up to 375 degrees.
5. Pour the glaze over the ham and place ham back in the oven, uncovered, for another 10-15 minutes, until the glaze becomes sticky on the outside of the ham and starts to caramelize.
6. Remove from the oven, slice and enjoy.
1. Heat a large heavy bottomed saucepot over medium heat and combine the Knob Creek Smoked Maple, mustard, brown sugar, honey, cider vinegar and cinnamon stick.
2. As the mixture comes to a gentle boil, whisk to dissolve the sugars.
3. Lower the heat to medium low, and continue to cook and reduce liquid. Whisk the mixture occasionally until it begins to thicken, about 30 minutes.
4. After about 20 minutes, the mixture will begin to look like a glaze and the bubbles will slow down and appear smaller.
5. Remove from heat and finish the glaze with the juice of 1 orange and 1/2 tsp. salt.
6. Remove the cinnamon stick then set aside.
Knob Creek Ol’ Fashioned Holiday Maple
Pinch of Raw Sugar
3 Dashes Bitters
1 1/2 parts Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon
1 part Calvados Boulard Apple Brandy
1. Drop a pinch of raw sugar, orange peel, and 3 dashes bitters into a rocks glass and muddle.
2. Add Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon and Calvados Boulard Apple Brandy and stir with ice.
Method And Madness’ Latest Irish Whiskey Gets Garryana Oak Finish
Review: Jack Daniel’s & Coca-Cola RTD Canned Cocktail
New Isle Of Raasay Distillery Whisky Matured In Ex-Manzanilla Casks
Breckenridge Distillery Collaborates With Flaviar For Father’s Day Whiskey Edition
Royal Salute Celebrates Jodhpur Night With 21-Year-Old Jodhpur Polo Edition
GlenDronach Debuts Cask Strength Batch 12
Tales of the Cocktail Event Slated For Late July In New Orleans
Gavin Hastings Launches Charity Whiskies To Support Injured Rugby Players
Bladnoch Distillery Explores Whisky-Making With The Dragon Series
Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye Now A Permanent Offering
Nino Kilgore-Marchetti is the founder and editor-in-chief of The Whiskey Wash, an award winning whiskey lifestyle website dedicated to informing and entertaining consumers about whisk(e)y on a global level. As a whisk(e)y journalist, expert and judge he has written about the subject extensively, been interviewed in various media outlets and...