I’ve witnessed first hand the progression of bourbon over the past 6 years since this podcast began. It went from learning about new releases and hunting for them with relative ease to 72 hour campouts for bottles that used to be on the shelves. However, my time in bourbon doesn’t match that of our guest’s. Steve Ury, better known as Sku, is one of the original bloggers in bourbon before there were YouTubers and podcasters. He has backed off blogging, but still stays up to date with everything happening in bourbon and takes notice of how brands are changing. He’s cynical about brands and the changing consumer, but that doesn’t stop him from talking about every TTB label approval. Steve has also found a new home in brandy and we discuss how long it will take before Instagramers and podcasters ruin that too.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- Wilderness Trail is Sweet Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon and Rye Whiskey distilled, aged, and bottled in Danville, Kentucky. Learn more at WildernessTrailDistillery.com.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Total Wine and More is wonderland for wine, spirits, and beer lovers! Explore more in store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about distilleries that have made the greatest impact on bourbon.
- How did you get into bourbon?
- Tell us about your blog and the time before the bourbon boom.
- When did you get more cynical about bourbon?
- When did you see the change where distilleries constantly had special releases?
- Were dusties big early on?
- Do you think vintage whiskey is overpriced?
- Do you blame people or brands more for the bourbon culture today?
- Do you still look at the TTB daily?
- Tell us about your journey into brandy.
- How long before the podcasters and Instagramers ruin brandy?
- Support this podcast on Patreon
This post first appeared on Bourbon Pursuit at https://bourbonpursuit.com/2021/11/04/330-before-the-bourbon-boom-with-steve-ury-aka-sku/
Never miss an episode from Bourbon Pursuit on:
Kenny Coleman and Ryan Cecil host the Bourbon Pursuit podcast from Louisville, KY. Together, they share a passion for the stories that made an industry flourish with a focus on history, personality, and of course, great bourbon. Their guests include master distillers, bloggers, historians, local events and more.