Independent bottler Lost Lantern recently announced their Fall 2022 collection, which features five limited-edition single casks from Boulder Spirits in Colorado, Cedar Ridge Distillery in Iowa, Copperworks Distilling in Washington, and Breuckelen Distilling in New York.
Nora Ganley-Roper and Adam Polonski, Lost Lantern’s co-founders, said they chose to focus on a theme of “discovery” when they selected the whiskies to be released in the Fall 2022 Collection.
“All the single casks in this collection come from distilleries that are locally or regionally beloved and very highly regarded, but not that widely available outside of their home markets,” Polonski said in a prepared statement. “With this collection, we want to help whiskey drinkers discover some really unique whiskies from distilleries they may have heard of, but not been able to actually get their hands on until now.”
The whiskeys in the collection are:
- Boulder Spirits Peated Colorado Single Malt Whiskey (164 bottles): retail $130.
- Cedar Ridge Iowa 5-Year-Old Straight Bourbon Whiskey (100 bottles): retail $100.
- Cedar Ridge Iowa 6-Year-Old Straight Malted Rye Whiskey (211 bottles): retail $90.
- Copperworks Distilling Washington Single Malt (Single Farm, Single Variety) (225 bottles): retail $100.
- Breuckelen Distilling 8-Year-Old New York Malted Wheat Whiskey (165 bottles): retail $120.
In the tradition of independent bottlers in Scotland, since 2020 Lost Lantern has released 36 unique single casks from 18 different distilleries in the United States including Santa Fe Spirits, Ironroot Republic, Whiskey Del Bac, St. George Spirits, McCarthy’s, Smooth Ambler, and Frey Ranch Distillery.
More information about Lost Lantern’s Fall 2022 Single Cask Collection:
- 2022 Single Cask #12: Boulder Spirits Peated Colorado Single Malt Whiskey – Boulder Spirits was founded by Scotsman Alastair Brogan, who has brought Scottish whisky making traditions to the Rockies. Made from 100 percent peated Scottish barley, this whiskey was aged for five years in new oak. It’s heavily peated and very smoky, with flavors of smoked figs, bacon-wrapped dates, bitter orange marmalade, and fresh-baked brownies. Single Cask #12 was bottled at its natural cask strength of 148.94 proof.
- 2022 Single Cask #13: Cedar Ridge Iowa 5-Year-Old Straight Bourbon Whiskey – The dramatic temperature swings of the Great Plains help create whiskies with a soft, clean, yet spicy character. This is Lost Lantern’s second bourbon from the family-owned distillery. Made from 74% corn, 14% rye, and 12% malted barley, this straight bourbon whiskey was aged for five years, giving it depth and complexity. It has white flowers and vanilla on the nose, a complex palate with white chocolate and baking spice, and a long finish.
- 2022 Single Cask #14: Cedar Ridge Iowa 6-Year-Old Straight Malted Rye Whiskey – Cedar Ridge is one of the few distilleries to regularly distill malted rye whiskey, which is made with germinated rye grain. This six-year-old single cask is made with 51% malted rye, 34% rye, 12% corn, and 3% malted barley. It has a citrusy nose, with lemon, custard, and a rich depth on the palate. The malted rye grain adds a complex, biscuity and toasty flavor and a great mouthfeel.
- 2022 Single Cask #15: Copperworks Distilling Washington Single Malt (Single Farm, Single Variety) – The Seattle distillery works closely with local farms to source its grain, leading to whiskies that reflect the climate of the Pacific Northwest. This single malt was made from a single variety of barley called Baronesse, grown on a single farm, the family-owned Joseph’s Grainery in Colfax, WA. Aged for three years in a new oak cask, it has vanilla and white pepper on the nose and lavender, oak and saltwater taffy on the palate.
- 2022 Single Cask #16: Breuckelen Distilling 8-Year-Old New York Malted Wheat Whiskey – Wheat whiskies are generally known for being gentle and light. Not this one. Made with 100 percent malted red wheat, this eight-year-old single cask has a deep, rich, and powerful flavor but a soft texture, with notes of rich oak, chocolate banana bread, cranberry teacake, and ginger spice. This is the oldest single cask Lost Lantern has released to date.
To find Lost Lantern’s collection or for more information, check out www.lostlanternwhiskey.com.
Gary Carter has been at the helm of metro newspapers, magazines, and television news programs as well as a radio host and marketing manager. He is a writer/editor/photographer/designer by trade, with more than 30 years experience in the publishing and marketing field. Gary enjoys working to build something great, whether...