Rye whiskey production had a historic past in the northeastern states, especially Pennsylvania and Maryland. And now Sagamore Spirit based in Baltimore is bringing rye whiskey back. Ryan and I traveled to record this interview with their CEO, Brian Tracey, and their Director of Operations, Ryan Norwood. We uncover Brian’s unique past of how a phone call with Kevin Plank, the CEO of Under Armor, would take him from running a backpacking and kayaking company in Flagstaff Arizona to building a new distillery from the ground up. One of Brian’s tasks was to find a distiller and that led to a few conversations with Ryan Norwood, a young guy who was really into yeast and beers. Sagamore had a longstanding relationship with MGP but now they have their own Maryland rye distillate and we talk about how they shaped and revitalized the Maryland rye category.
- Brian talk about how you go from ski bum to whiskey CEO?
- How did you cross paths with Under Armor CEO, Kevin Plank, and him ask you to become CEO?
- What did you know about the distilling business before starting?
- What did Kevin like about the distilling business?
- What was the initial vision?
- After you were convinced to start, who was the first call you made?
- When did Ryan Norwood come into the picture for distilling?
- Walk us through the differences be between brewing and distilling.
- What was is like working with Larry Ebersold to develop your Maryland style rye?
- Why do distilleries go with 95/5 rye?
- What was the process of figuring out how to scale and go beyond a 500 gallon pot still?
- Why only distill rye whiskey when bourbon is so popular?
- What does it mean to you when articles begin coming out without any affiliation to Under Armor?
- As a CEO, what are you trying to empower your people with?
- What was it about going down the path of finished whiskeys?
- Do you have any horror stories from working with barrel brokers on used barrels?
- Here’s how we all came together to collaborate on Pursuit United Rye.
- @sagamorespirit @sagamorewhiskeybrian @smilesdavisjr
- Support this podcast on Patreon
This post first appeared on Bourbon Pursuit at https://bourbonpursuit.com/2022/01/20/341-bringing-rye-back-to-baltimore-with-brian-treacy-and-ryan-norwood-of-sagamore-spirit/
Never miss an episode from Bourbon Pursuit on:
Kenny Coleman and Ryan Cecil host the Bourbon Pursuit podcast from Louisville, KY. Together, they share a passion for the stories that made an industry flourish with a focus on history, personality, and of course, great bourbon. Their guests include master distillers, bloggers, historians, local events and more.